What are the key changes to the PPE Regulations?
- In the past PPE was governed by a directive – it is now being implemented as a legally binding regulation, with some amendments
- For example – hearing protection has been moved from category || to Category ||| – essentially it has now been classified as more important to protect your teams hearing
- Certificates are now only valid for 5 years
- Distributors and importers are now responsible for standards, as well as the manufacturer
- Declarations of conformity
- Al PPE must be issued with this by the manufacturer, and distributors/importers now need to have a copy of this on file
- This should be kept for 10 years after the PPE has been placed on the market
When are the PPE changes taking effect?
- April 2016 – PPE Regulation Listed
- Two Year Transition Perios
- 21st April 2018 – Regulation Applies
- PPE can be certified under the old directive or the new regulation for a year
- 21st April 2019 -New certification required for all new PPE
- 21st April 2023 – All old PPE certification is fully phased out (All EC-Type certificates to 8/686 become invalid)
Want a more detailed outline? Download the free pdf from the BSI below.
Want to find out more about PPE? Contact us today to talk about our account management service. Call us on 0800 161 36 61